At Climate Cabinet, we help local leaders run, win and legislate on the climate crisis.
State and local policymakers are key to tackling climate change. They are responsible for achieving 75% of our Paris climate goals – and ensuring Biden’s climate investments are implemented in communities across America. But, these leaders are too often under-supported and overlooked. With 500,000 state and local elected officials across America, scaling up local climate leadership is a challenge of scale and coordination.
- Climate Cabinet Action (501c4) is the “Moneyball” of climate politics. We identify state and local elections that have the greatest “return on investment” in the fight against climate change. Then, we help key candidates run, win, and legislate on climate. We’re building sustained political power for climate action, from the local level up.
- Our sister 501c3, Climate Cabinet Education, is a “climate policy staffer at scale” for local elected officials who need a climate plan that works for their community from Day One in office. We combine data science and policy expertise to find and support local leaders with big climate opportunities.
We’re hiring a Communications Director to build a powerful communications operation that will grow with us as an organization. This director will elevate all Climate Cabinet brands and amplify the impact of state and local climate champions in the media narrative across the US. As a small hands-on team, we’re looking for someone who is excited to lead on comms strategy and execute the work.
- An experienced self-starter, excited to develop a multi-channel communications program that involves press engagement, social media and in-house channels, digital, and PR.
- Dedicated to building political power from the local level up, tackling climate change, advancing environmental justice, revitalizing democracy, and building a more equitable future.
- Not afraid to dig into the nuance of wonky climate and energy policy – and able to turn it into a compelling story.
- A doer who can spot gaps and opportunities and create a plan to fill them.
- Focused on impact, ambition, and iteration – as a startup, we consistently strive to improve our programs, strategy, and tactics.
- A team player focused on building strong relationships – with press, coalition partners & staff.
- Excited about working in a small, mission-driven, fully remote work environment.
- Direct, build, and grow a powerful communications operation. Own the Climate Cabinet brand and amplify our impact, voice, candidates, and theory of change.
- Place stories in local and national press. Find media hooks, pitch stories, and manage relationships with reporters and media partners.
- Create content and messaging that amplifies our impact, voice, candidates, and theory of change – to audiences including journalists, donors, policymakers/candidates, and the public.
- Develop an audience growth and marketing strategy with high impact messages.
- Direct and bring to life our biweekly newsletter, social media, and web presence.
- Identify and manage ways to increase staff visibility including media and on-stage opportunities.
- Support our policymakers with communications, press, and messaging support.
- Work in coalition with state-based partner organizations, and manage a communications fellow and potential future staff.
Location: Remote – anywhere in the US. Preference for the following states: Michigan, Minnesota, Arizona, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, North Carolina, Louisiana, Wisconsin. Some travel required.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance; premiums fully covered.
- Starting salary: $100,000 or commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email a 1-page resume or LinkedIn profile to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line: “Job Application - Comms Director.”
Accepting applications on a rolling basis until September 30, 2023.
You should apply! We encourage applications from people of color, women, LGBTQ folks, working class people, and members of other marginalized communities. Furthermore, if you don’t meet all of the exact job qualifications listed but feel called to the work — please apply. There are many ways to have developed the expertise necessary to excel in this position.
Who we are: We are a dynamic, passionate startup team of experienced organizers, utility researchers, software engineers, policy experts, and lobbyists. Our Moneyball approach speaks for itself. For example: This spring, CCA was the only climate organization to support Yemi Mobolade’s historic campaign for Mayor of Colorado Springs, putting a climate champ at the helm of this conservative stronghold. In 2022, eight of CCA’s nine “Climate Slate” champions won election in Minnesota - flipping the state senate to a pro-climate majority for the first time in a decade.